Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Bishop, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The professionals at Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning in Bishop a call to begin. Contact our team at 760-784-9034 or book an appointment with us online.