According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to reach out to Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning in Bishop about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the pros at Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning. A yearly evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts open.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and change them when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Bishop home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning at 760-784-9034 or arrange an appointment online.