Summer weather in Bishop can be rough. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve put together some tips to make it easy.
The best thing you can do to stay comfy and ensure energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system operating reliably and efficiently, and Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning can help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to make sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifespan for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to operate harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of correct and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to ensure accurate system airflow.
Another key to staying cool is consistently looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can boost energy costs and damage your equipment, which may lead to early failure. Our Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning pros will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to change them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home cool and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If it’s cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to retain the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a little higher than you regularly would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people often forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your house.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning at call at 760-784-9034 or request an appointment with us online.