Spring is in the air here in Bishop and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your awesome sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning in Bishop a call at 760-784-9034.