The colder temperatures in winter usually lead to high heating bills. Are there ways to keep your home warm without raising your energy cost so much? Yes! Bishop Heating & Air Conditioning has some ideas for you to help keep your home comfortable and your heating bills lower.
Use these tips to help boost your energy efficiency and trim down your heating bills this winter:
- Take advantage of sunny days in Bishop to help heat your home naturally. Pull back the curtains and open the blinds to let the sun give your furnace a little [[help|boost|break]14.
- Keep the cold air from leaking in. Seal your windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- The more you can control the temperature in your home, the more you can control your energy usage. A programmable thermostat will get the job done and boost your home’s energy efficiency.
- Clogged, dirty furnace filters make your furnace work more and lower your energy efficiency. Clean or replace them every three months.
- Do a quick examination of your home. Are any vents or cold air returns blocked? Make sure they’re clear for better airflow and efficiency.
- If your furnace is more than 15 years old, start researching a new energy-efficient model. This could save you the cost of emergency repairs and will help decrease your energy bills for years to come.
- You’re probably aware that heat rises. Don’t let your heat rise so far and sneak out through the attic. Keep your attic well insulated to keep warm air where you need it.
- Many people don’t realize this, but heat can also escape through your roof. Examine it for loose or missing shingles and holes or areas that need to be sealed.
It may seem like managing your home’s energy efficiency is difficult, but with these tips, it should be a little easier. If you’re looking for more ways to increase your home’s energy efficiency, give us a call at 760-784-9034. We’ll help you keep your home comfortable year-round, even in the harshest Bishop weather.